Friday, July 15, 2005

Happy Birthday Baby Boy


Baby Boy
Originally uploaded by Geeky Mama.
My dear baby boy,
My how time flies. I really meant to write up your birth story, oh, about 10 months ago.
And, I apologize that I last updated your Baby Book when you were about 6 months old. I know you know that this is your lot in life as the third child..but please believe me when I tell you that it doesn't mean we love you any less then your oldest sister who's entire first year of life is documented both on video and in countless photos. Or our second child, who had her baptism filmed - when all you got was one lousy photo out front of the church.
Please trust me that we are too busy playing with you, holding you and showing you how much we love you to put you down and grab the camera - and, with time, we've mellowed so much as parents that we're more interested in watching you explore the world than we are in documenting each gurgle and gassy smile like we were in the past.

I assure you --this has it's benefits. You get to try things at a younger age. Things that never occurred to us when your siblings were babies. For example, neither of your sisters had a Bouncy Castle for THEIR First Birthday party. We would never have thought to see if they liked that. Now that we know how much you love to bounce - well, it's the perfect thing to have for YOUR first birthday.

We so love you, our dear Bubba. You have grown so much this first year. You are your own little person. You have nearly 4 teeth - and got teeth younger than either of your siblings! You are brave, and so cheerful and easy going that you are the envy of all our friends and family. We KNOW how lucky we are to have you - and we love each minute we spend with you.

I like to think of your sweet personality as payback for the miserable time I had when you were in my belly. I was sick all 8 months, until my kind Doctor induced labor a full month early. You were over a month early and you were still 7 lbs 8 oz! Your birth was so easy - just like your first year of life.
I remember the nurses laughing at me as I tried to quilt while they hooked me to countless IVs and medical devices. Mostly the day passed in a haze..Daddy and I sat and talked quietly. We listened to some music. I think we sent emails to family. You were born early in the evening. We were all downstairs ready to go to sleep by 11pm. And then, then I woke up just after midnight and missed you - because they'd taken you to the nursery. I got up, just a few hours after giving birth, and walked down to the nursery to claim you. You had just been bathed and were wide awake and mad. I held you and you just melted into my arms with relief. And now.. 12 months later to the day.. you still do this. And now you hug back.

Happy Birthday my son. Your father and I love you more than words can say.

No comments: