Sunday, May 21, 2006

And Ode to the Oldest


Emma
Originally uploaded by Geeky Mama.
This weekend has been an eventful weekend. Our littlest moved into a "big boy" bed and our middle has a cold. But this afternoon I was thinking of our oldest and laughing.

Em does that - she's a funny (and beautiful) girl.

I love to tell people that I'm free to brag about her because I have no genetic contribution. She's my step-daughter, but I always consider her my oldest child because I've been part of her life since she was about 18 months old.

So, here's what had me giggling in the middle of the day when Em was at a birthday party. We drove past the Chinese buffet place and I remembered how Em calls it the: "Die-Nasty Buffet" (Dynasty Buffet).

And then Jeff reminded me of how the other day she got a bright idea to trick him. In the morning Jeff will ask both the girls to change into their outfits. He'll set them in the living room as they're watching tv and starting to wake up. He runs around checking email and checks back - making sure they're actually getting dressed.

Em had this great idea to change into their clothes, then leave another set of outfits laying out that looked like the ones that Jeff had asked them to put on. Then they hid.

So, Jeff came into the living room to check on them, saw the outfits still sitting out and started yelling.. "Why aren't you two dressed yet?!" ..and then Em and Lucy popped out, fully dressed and said: "Hey, what are you yelling for, we've BEEN ready." (they were laughing at their trick of course..)

That's so Emma. She's so smart, so wickedly funny. I can't wait to see what this goofy girl will do next.

No comments: