Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happiness is...no commute on a snowy day

Yesterday morning I made it just in time for my bus downtown.. but the driver started to leave without me. So, I picked up the pace a bit and started running.. only to slip on the ice (oh, yeah, forgot about all that ice!) and then did a fantastic face first slide to a stop on the icy ground. (Ouch.)
This sent everything I was carrying scattering in three different directions - but at least it made the bus stop and wait for me. Probably out of pity. Or, maybe just because Metro Transit frowns on running over passengers and I was laying in the street right in the bus' path.

So, when I heard we'd have snow today (and I figured out that I'd twisted an ankle thanks to my icy belly flop) - I decided to work from home today.

I slept in a bit. Just threw on jeans and got to work around 7:30 like usual. Only, my commute this morning was just down a set of stairs and only involved turning on some lights and starting up the fireplace. Propping a pillow up under my sore ankle and powering up the laptop and the XM receiver unit.

Lucy and her friend (yet another sleep over at our house last night) woke up after I'd been working about 2 hours.. and then had another friend come over to join them to play. As I answer emails I faintly overhear all three girls playing teacher and tutoring 4 year old Michael on his letters and how to write his name. Then they ran around giggling and playing. Miraculously all 4 kids have left me alone down here to work and haven't interrupted any of my phone meetings.

So, I'm sitting in the lower level office/cave with the fireplace running, with scented candles, my iced tea and the XM playing indie music in the background...and whenever I look up from my work I see soft fluffy snow falling outside the double glass doors. It's gorgeous - especially because I have don't have to drive anywhere today.




The music is perfect (lots of Vampire Weekend, Kings Of Leon, Department of Eagles, Ra Ra Riot) the fireplace is cozy, the dogs are curled at my feet and I'm getting work done... and now Jeff is plowing out the driveway with Michael.

Today was darn near as perfect as a Tuesday at work can get. And not just 'cause I didn't fall on the ice (yet) today.

No comments: