Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I'm a Runner

When I first started running and started to rave about how cathartic and how happy it made me - Jeff (hubby) was skeptical. He said: "Yeah, well let's see how long you stick with it. I wouldn't call you a runner."

I was a bit annoyed so I countered with:
"Okay, so when will I be a real runner?"
He said..."Well, you consider yourself a quilter right? But I haven't seen you do much lately.." (Which also kind of ticked me off--and I quickly finished two projects right after that comment.)

I insisted: "Okay, HOW LONG until I'm a real runner?"
He said: "Well..you know..like a couple of years.."

I'm coming up on nearly a year of walk/running. By spring it will be a year of running. I've run my first 5K (tough mudder) ...and I think it's fair to say I AM really a runner. In Letterman style, I provide to you my top ten signs that your wife IS a runner.

Top Ten Signs Your Wife is a Runner

10. Target purchases begin to include lycra C9 items.
9.  When she's headed out to walk the dog you notice her Sketchers walking shoes get replaced with old Nikes usually used to mow the lawn.
8.  "Walks" begin to be in excess of 60 minutes.
7. The dog starts limping.
6. Your wife mentions: "Hey, the Y has a promotion for a no-joiners fee and free month..is it OK to try it out?"
5. Your wife makes a trip to the running store and makes a few purchases on a credit card you don't see the balance on..but you do notice that she has some ugly new shoes.
4. Your wife is spending an inordinate amount of time researching special headphones for her iPhone to use while at the Y.
3. She wants to run a 5K "just for fun"...and her trips to the Y are exceeding an hour and result in lots of sweaty laundry.
2. Suddenly the clothing budget goes WAAAY up because none of her old clothes fit her. Crap!
1. She subscribes to Runners World Magazine and actually shrieks with joy each time an issue shows up in the mail box. Then she devours and re-reads the magazine with the enthusiasm you would only have for Road & Track or Car and Driver magazine.

No comments: