Tuesday, July 28, 2015

What I've Learned at 43

I recently celebrated my 43rd Birthday. 

This is an unremarkable birthday. It's not 30, 40 or 50 - it's one of those bland "early 40s" birthdays. However, for those who know me well, this birthday is very remarkable. I've survived a lot in the past year ..41 and 42 were honestly suck years.

43 finds me more resilient, understanding, self-confident, healthy and even more physically fit than I've been in perhaps my entire life.


I've become more empathetic, more comfortable in my own skin and most importantly I have begun to understand deeply that you can never be too kind because everyone you meet is struggling with something that you may know nothing about. (Or they bear the scars, shame or memories of that struggle.)



In celebration of of my struggles and in hopes of erasing the stigma that many others face when they struggle, I got a tattoo. (I know - shocking! I never expected to get one. EVER.) 

Here it is: 


And here is why: http://www.projectsemicolon.com/ 

Their vision statement says it all for me: 
PROJECT SEMICOLON IS A FAITH-BASED MOVEMENT DEDICATED TO PRESENTING HOPE AND LOVE FOR THOSE WHO ARE STRUGGLING WITH DEPRESSION, SUICIDE, ADDICTION AND SELF-INJURY. PROJECT SEMICOLON EXISTS TO ENCOURAGE, LOVE AND INSPIRE. 

STAY STRONG; LOVE ENDLESSLY; CHANGE LIVES


No comments: