Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Cool (Geeky) Kids

I tried to title this post: "These Are the People in My Neighborhood Cool Company"...
But apparently Blogger knew better than me that my Sesame Street reference would be lame - and didn't allow me to use "cross out" text in the title.

The point of this post is this:
I have the great fortune to work with a lot of smart people. The benefit of being a geek is that often you get to work with a lot of like-minded geeks, too! (Many, many of whom are waaaaay smarter and/or geekier than me.)

Maybe my family and some friends don't understand my enthusiasm for the upcoming NerdCon... but it's my people. (All my favorite authors, poets and storytellers.) Patrick Rothfuss, Dessa Darling, Hank Green and Rainbow Rowling will be in the SAME place. But my boss, when I asked for the time off on the Friday of the event totally understood and said: "That looks like fun!"



*Side story: When I read in Patrick Rothfuss' blog on March 27th that the event was scheduled and there were only 3000 tickets - I immediately purchased tickets. (And they aren't inexpensive.) I was REALLY afraid they'd sell out overnight so I purchased my and Lucy's tickets ON March 27th. 
So, I've had tickets for over 6 months... but, hey, I needed to be SURE we'd be there. 

If you think I'm a geek..please note that, ahem, I am not the person who has already created and documented her entire 2-day NerdCon schedule based on signing times and panels she plans to attend. (I just gave her some of my genetic material. Sorry 'bout that Lucy.) She's already informed me I'm not needed. She'll text me if she needs additional money or if she and her friends are ready for a ride home. Yeah, all good and well unless I'm next in line to have my book signed by Patrick Rothfuss.

I digress. The point of this blog is to mention - I work with some AWESOME geeks and today one of them posted some cool things they MADE for one of our offices. (This is a geek handy with wood, clearly.) 


How freaking cool is THAT?!?!

Even better: he shared the tips for how to make it here:


No comments: