Sunday, July 23, 2017

Why I don't tell you if I'm coming to your town

Dear wonderful friends and family,

I wrote this post back in March, but decided that today, while I work through the weekend (again) is an appropriate time to update and post.

Last Friday I updated my flights and I'll be in three cities for work this week. Yep, I booked on Friday for flights that leave on Tuesday morning first thing. This is my normal.

Back in March, when I booked similar travel I was:

  • less than a 15-minute train ride from one friend who has repeatedly offered to drive as far as New Hampshire to see me. 
  • a short drive away from another friend who I only get to chat to via FB since we stopped working together
  • ANOTHER friend who was about to have a baby (baby boy is since born and I see Snapchats of him frequently--SO CUTE)
  • On the second leg of the trip I could have stayed at my Uncle's house. I was less than a 20-minute drive away from his house. 

Here's the thing: I won't have time for any visits. 

I don't think people who haven't done worked in a position similar to mine can understand. Afterall, I'm right THERE - so close by! Why wouldn't I have time or make time to visit? At least have dinner; you have to eat, right?

Here's the problem with my work travel. It's exhausting and I am working non-stop. There really isn't time to eat. Or sleep. Or do anything but work frantically and meet with customers. 
If I'm not preparing demo data, PowerPoints or ironing a suit then I'm on a conference call for yet another future meeting or driving to a customer site or trying to meet up with the sales person. 

I pack a LOT of snacks and just snack my way through the time I'm working in the hotel room. 
I try to book hotels that are: 
a) near a Starbucks (I can get a gluten free breakfast there on the run), 
b) have room service 
and 
c) have a fridge so I can stow water or tea in them

I'm lucky if I get 6 hours of sleep. I try every time to book my trips so I can get more rest. I avoid 5am or 6am flights whenever possible. 
I usually can't sleep on airplanes though occasionally I unexpectedly (involuntarily?) fall asleep with my laptop open on my lap. Any flight with WiFi means I'm working. 

Though it might sound like it - I'm really not complaining. I chose this job. I get paid overtime. God knows we need my salary. Sometimes I really love this job. Usually I'm pretty good at it.
This is just an explanation for why I almost never post on Facebook where I am, and you won't know when I'm in your town or within a short drive of your home. 
I'm sorry - but it goes with the job. I wish I could see you - hell, I wish I could see some of the towns I visit, but it is what it is and I hope you understand.


No comments: