Monday, April 29, 2019

Getting Serious About This

I was an English Double Major just for the fun of it, my first post-college job was TESL/TEFOL (Teaching English in Japan), and I worked as a Tech Writer for some years before moving into my current field. I correct my family's essays and emails (when asked) and recently...I've been writing.

They say the ideal word count for a book is no less than 90,000 words, but not over that number, either. I'm at nearly 45,000 and just reaching the key plot arch - pre-denouement.  I think I'm doing it right, but I have no idea.
Unlike other writers I have no desire to share what I've written (yet) with an alpha or beta reader. I definitely won't be posting it here, either. 
I just feel a bit proud, like taking cello, that I'm not putting it off. That I'm tackling it now while I still have kids at home--that I'm not waiting for "some day"--that I'm doing it today.

I'm also relieved I can quilt again. I think these 'productive' hobbies are good for me. It would be better for me if I went back to yoga and running, too.... But baby steps. 

No comments: