Friday, January 27, 2006

Why I am the queen of Rationalization

1. When counting calories, I often rationalize away Weight Watchers points like this:
- "That cookie was burnt so, it can't have been worth all 3 points" (Does burning food reduce it's caloric content? Maybe!)
- "I just had a bite of fries from the kids' plate..so I don't have to count those because they weren't part of MY dinner."
or
- "That tasted icky, so it couldn't have been 4 points.."

2. When I go shopping for something special for me (e.g. new shoes) and explain the expense to my husband, I frequently "round down" the cost. Example: "Oh these? They were on sale I think.. just like $30." (Actual price: $39.99, more like $40!)

It works in the OPPOSITE direction when hubby wants to get something like a new tool at the hardware store. Witness: "You can't buy that - why waste a hundred fifty bucks on that saw -- don't you already have something similar?" (re: a sawzall tool that would with a price of $119).

See? I round UP if he wants to buy it, round down if I've already spent it and want to make it sound like I didn't spend so much.

3. I believe you can NEED chocolate, a new CD, iced tea, a new pair of brown leather Dansko shoes or book by your favorite author. Sometimes it really IS all about the little things in life.

4. I can even help my FRIENDS come up with rationalizations for their actions/wants/desires/plans to leave hubby home with the kids so we can go off and have fun for a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes your Hubby likes for his Wife to rationalize reasons to stay home with him.