Thursday, September 06, 2007

Observations / Lessons Learned from the end of summer

1. Doggie day care for 2 two dogs costs more than all-day care for my 3 children. What is wrong with this picture?

2. Given enough time, most people will really come through with the money they owe you. I prefer not to say anything about the money - I just wait without saying anything. So far, this is working for me. (I just got paid, yesterday, for Girl Scout cookies that were delivered in February of this year.)
*The possible exception to this rule are places of business (e.g. paid off car loans, mortgage escrow account checks) - because they will take their own sweet time returning money you've overpaid them to you.

3. As for me, I really need to drive a stick shift. It appears to be something in my genetic makeup because my Dad strongly prefers manual transmissions, too.

4. You can't fight genetics - but through ample amounts of counseling you can try to make your character flaws less obnoxious to others.

5. There are two things that I find unforgivably tacky :
a. Not sending a Thank You note or acknowledgement of receipt of a Wedding gift.
b. A guest that bring a gift of wine to a dinner party - opens said wine, has some and then takes it home with them.

All other manners and rules appear to be made to be broken, in my humble opinion..but the 2 above are pet peeves.

6. I love books by Phillip Pullman. And here I was worried that I'd having nothing to read after Harry Potter.. The "His Dark Materials" triology is even better! (Though it feels like blasphemy for me to say that out loud because I loved the HP series so much.)

No comments: