Wednesday, September 12, 2007

To my children who I love beyond measure, from your mommy at work.

I wrote this yesterday, Sept 11th, feeling nostalgic and missing my children at work apparently.

Dear Mr. Man,

You crack me up no end. You are such a funny, smart, beautiful little boy. I love it when you look at me with your earnest eyes and say: "I have pee in my body."
We are SO proud of your new found independence in using the potty and dressing and undressing yourself.
Yes, I know you want a dirt bike. Little boy, light of my life, I am very tempted to buy you one because I love the look on your face when you work the throttle and see dirt flying up in the air behind you. Your love of rockets and dirt bikes is giving me a clue to the kind of boy you're going to be. It's not going to be dull!
I love it when you take your little hands and put them on my face to turn my face towards you when you want my full attention. It is an amazing time right now when you tell me sometimes still that you are a "tiny baby" and then, more and more you tell me and show me you are a "big boy" everyday. I'm so glad you still want to be held and carried and snuggled.
I am so sorry this morning that you only wanted me to hold you and stay home all day with you. I hope my holding you and rocking you in my arms helped ease your tears. I saw your brave face when I left you with your pre-school teacher and I hope that today is fun for you, even if it's spent with your friends and teacher and not mommy and daddy. Thank you for the big kiss this morning, I miss you terribly and wish I was home with you all day, too.

Dear Lucy Goose,

You are such a sensitive, silly, beautiful girl - thank you for making me laugh. I'm so sorry I rushed you this morning and I know I must seem crabby to you when all I'm trying to do is get us scooted out the door. Hard as it may be to believe - I think of you and miss you all day, even if it seems like I'm just crabby and rushing and busy when I get you up in the morning.
I really tried my best to tie your Chucks as tight as you like, I'm sorry if it didn't meet your high standards of tight. I know Daddy does it better - he wishes he was here, too. Please understand that I spent extra time making you breakfast this morning, and that's why I couldn't keep re-tying your shoes three more times - we were already running late.
Can I tell you how amazed I am that you love Depeche Mode? What good taste you are developing in music! When you listed off your favorite bands (AJ & Aly, Hannah Montanna, Depeche Mode and Jonas Brothers) I was awed that at 6 (6!) you have such definite (and good) tastes in music.
Sweetheart, I'm sorry your ankles hurt. Yes, I'm sure part of it is from running so much in gym class, and maybe some growing pains, too...but, it may also be my fault. See, I have bad ankles, too. You can blame Grandpa Bob for this one if you like. (I got my ankles from him.) Please don't be too sad about your ankles. It's nothing Advil can't fix, and as you get older you'll realize it's really not such a big deal in the big scheme of things. I know that's hard to understand now, because any hurt is a big hurt.
I love you, be brave. You'll make friends at your new school - you'll see. Just keep being Lucy. Hang in there - you can watch Harry Potter and eat Starbursts when you get home, and then it'll all feel better. Just think: each day you're getting closer to being able to read all on your own - and just you wait, that will make you SO happy when you can sit with a Harry Potter or Phillip Pullman book and read and read to your heart's content.

Dear Emma-roo,

I know now that you're getting so grown up that it's too embarassing to have me say "I love you" in front of your friends or to hug on you at school, so I hold back when they are around. But you should know no matter what I always love you SO much.
Thank you for the BIG hugs last night. I may joke or play (and you do, too) but I felt your "I love you" in those hugs, and I hope you know how much I adore you when I peck you on your cute short hair and hug you tight.
Lucy and I are both missing you (yes, even Lucy. She wanted you to come home with us last night) - but your mom has been missing you terribly, too - so be good to her. I know you wanted to come to our house last night, but it's your mom's turn to love on you, so be sure to be good and don't keep pestering her to come over - I know you know why, if you think about it.
Did you know that Melissa, the little girl who came to visit the weekend before last, hasn't taken off the necklace you gave her in days? Em, you have the most giving, kind and generous heart of any person I know. You made her very happy - and you make us very proud.
I know school is getting a little harder this year - but I'm glad your teacher is so nice. Even so, as you get closer to middle school don't be surprised if life gets a little more complicated with each passing month. I'm sure you've noticed by now that life gets kind of funky when you get closer to being a teen. Pimples, bras, friends that don't act very friendly... nothing you can't handle, though. You'll do well - you've got some amazing advantages.
Girl, you are SO smart. And SO loved. Whenever you need a break, some help or just a shoulder to cry on we'll always be there to catch you, hug you, hold you and comfort you. You're surrounded by people who adore you. You can do whatever you want to do - and I can tell you're going to do it in fine sassy style (You are such a stylish girl now! I am SO impressed with your taste in shoes and clothes!) and surrounded by friends, because you are gifted at making friends.

2 comments:

Shelli said...

Oh. My. God. This made me cry. Especially the parts about Emma's mommy and how generous she is. You have to know that I miss them so much. The other day, I had a little girl in clinic named Lucy. I was missing my Lucy sooo much. I really need to figure out when we can get together because I need a fix, too.

I still have tears in my eyes.

Shelli said...

Of course I meant how generous Emma is and not her mommy. You knew what I meant, right?