Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Another reason to hate the dog

The trip back from Ohio, well, at least from Rockford, IL onwards, I was pretty sure I had strep throat. As soon as we rolled into town, dropped the oldest at her play practice and got to our house I made plans to go to Urgent Care. After a nearly 2 hour wait at Urgent Care the quick-strep test came back positive, just like I expected.

Since I didn't get my first horse pill in me until 10pm Monday night I figured I'd be contagious (not to mention still in pain with every swallow) and had better plan on taking a sick day on Tuesday. I was sort of looking forward to a day of napping, wallowing in my bed and watching some brain-rotting daytime TV.

Shortly after a bath and a change into my sick-day duds (an old pair of sweatpants) I noticed my least favorite pet (Miley the dog) had decided to take a gigantic dump on our front walkway. Lovely.
So, I grabbed a plastic bag and went out the front door with a pair of my loafers slipped on my bare feet (and of course, no coat) ...only to see Miley nudge the front door shut in her excitement. And I'd only unlocked the deadbolt..so the bottom lock was still locked...and I was now locked out at 10:30am in below zero weather with no cell phone, no keys, no socks, no coat and a plastic baggy of dog poo.

Luckily my neighbor to the East of our property was home. So I trotted over to her house (a 3 minute brisk run in my loafers) and from her house I eventually tracked Jeff down at work. He knew the combination to the hidden key outside our house - so after one more cold walk and fumbling with the lockbox a bit, I was back inside safe and warm...and back to enjoying my sick day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man...that dog is really trying it's best to get kicked out of the house! By the way- I'm going to really owe you one if Braeden or I get strep! We just got healthy!!!!

Your sis

Shelli said...

Damn it! Isn't that the way?