Saturday, March 11, 2006

Morningside Drive


Morningside Drive
Originally uploaded by Geeky Mama.
This is my childhood home. This is where I grew up. If I'm remembering correctly there is just about a full acre of land around the house. The house and the garage, which is wide and squat and better suited for keeping buggies and won't allow you to park tall vehicles, were built at the turn of the century (and in this case I mean late 1800s heading in to the 1900s.)

It's brick, solid and has a beautiful pine "forest" on the one side of the yard. Another part of the yard has an in-ground pool.

Although I don't think we'll ever live in Ohio - if this house ever went up for sale again both my sister and I would, if we had the financials means to, want to buy it.

This house has been affecting our new home search. I keep wishing for a house like this, in an ideal location, so that our kids can have a home that gives them amazing memories of growing up in it. It's where I come from, so it's inevitable that as a parent now I'd try and recreate this
special home from my childhood for my own children. I think many of do this - if not intentionally then subconsciously. My hubby seems to like ramblers and split levels better (more like his childhood home) I seem to lean towards traditional style two-story homes.

Of course, realistically, I know it's not possible for us to relive our childhoods or even find a truly similar home that we can afford, yet that seems this special - special location, special features, special old - it's just not likely it will be that way when we finally find "the" house we're going to buy next.

But oh stories I can (and sometimes do) tell about about living in this house... And oh the stories this house could tell if these walls could talk..

2 comments:

kate said...

Beautiful! I lived in a Victorian with wraparound porch (no garage, though) until I was 12, and I would really love to have a home like that one again. But here in Europe, things are different. We count ourselves very lucky to have a townhouse with a bit of lawn (we signed the contract and started paying for it before it was built, and since then the value has doubled-- such is the rapid explosion in housing costs outside of Madrid...) I am very happy with it now, but it was hard at first to let go of my desire to have an independent house with its own yard, and a house with character as opposed to one that is identical to all the others in its row. Still, most people own apartments, not houses, so as I said, we are very lucky (and of course even the people with apartments are very lucky comapred to much of the world's population, but let's not go there tonight...)

Anonymous said...

Geeky Mama,

If you have not done so already, can you please log on to Yahoo IM? There is a message awaiting you.

Thanks