Monday, August 11, 2008

It's in their blood

Having my Dad and step-mom here for a visit has been a re-affirmation that a lot of my personality is hard wired...and those genetics must be strong because we see my Dad so clearly in Mr. Man and Lucy-lou. Sure, some of the things (bossy, loud, strong-willed) can be chalked up to normal childhood behaviors. But other bits..are just stunning reminders of everything I try and fight in my own personality with lots of therapy.

My stepmom said it probably the best..(hence the title) ..she observed Michael demanding silence from the others in the TV room so he could watch Star Wars and I shook my head and said: "He is so like my Dad"..and Donna said: "It's in his blood". I like saying "genetics" better than blood.. but I get what she means.

I've been reminded, as we watch the Olympics (and Lucy is REALLY into them) that there are some other personality glitches I have that are all mine.
I can't watch someone win a sporting event (like Michael Phelps winning his first gold medal) without crying. I have the same problem at any school event where our kids have to go in front of a crowd of people. Emma's 5th grade graduation, Lucy singing in a pre-school Christmas program.. even at church when they pass out the Bibles to the kids or a baby is Baptized. Jeff has become so used to it he nudges me in the ribs with his elbow and grins at me. (I think he likes that I'm so predictable. I'm somewhat mortified that I can't not cry.)

I wonder if this will happen to Lucy as she gets older. This inability to not feel so much for the person doing their best in front of the crowd that the tears well up.
If so, it's in her blood I suppose.

No comments: