Thursday, November 04, 2004

Mini Vacation Tomorrow

I am having surgery tomorrow. Nothing major. It may entail one night hospitalization, or I may manage to be discharged from day surgery just after dinner time. I'm not at all worried, and in fact, I'm looking forward to feeling better once my pesky malfunctioning gallbladder is removed. In fact, I have a very odd way of looking at day surgery - to me it's actually a bit like a short vacation.
You see, at this point in my life with 3 kids, a fulltime job and a very often absent husband, I'm very tired. I get up daily at around 4am, sometimes 5 - and literally run myself ragged until I collapse at night at the first chance possible (whenever the kids are in bed).

Tomorrow, I will lay down for several hours, be given a steady stream of pain killers, be waited on by kind nurses who will fetch me cookies and juice, and even get a nap for a few hours. It's a lot like flying first class. In fact, the second recovery area, where you sit in an oversized lounge chair and your family comes back to join you even feels like a First Class seat in an airplane.

So, the mild discomfort the surgery brings, at least for me, is totally made up for by the luxury of being able to spend the day horizontal and being cared for by others instead of having to care for others.


No comments: