Tuesday, November 30, 2004

A short list of things to be thankful for..

At this very moment my wonderful husband is working on getting our oldest two children to bed. This is not a special occasion, he does this pretty much every night when he is not traveling for business. This allows me to nurse the 4 month old and relax in the rocking chair. This gives me time, at the moment, to post for the first time in nearly a month.. and he does this without fuss or complaint. And this is just one of the many kindnesses he shows me on a daily basis.

Watch out -- the flood gates are opening and I'm feeling incredibly grateful for everything in my life tonight. (And it's not just because of Thanksgiving. Which came and went in a pleasant, if somewhat uneventful manner this year.)

Today, every member of my little nuclear family is healthy. After a month of nasty high fever viruses, my surgery, at least 2 colds per family member, pink eye and a Partridge in a Pear Tree.. we're all (if only for a moment) healthy.

We're all safe, warm and cozy and about to go to sleep for the night - and we have no fears, concerns or major worries to trouble us. I'm almost scared at how idyllic life is for now.

I am very blessed. I have healthy, beautiful children. A loving, extremely thoughtful and talented husband who I only love more and more with each passing day. Wonderful friends. A home and no major financial problems. I live in a free country where my greatest worry is meeting our material needs, not whether or not we'll eat each day. We have excellent health insurance. We have more clothes and food than we need. Our children have plenty of toys and go to good schools.

On a more shallow note.. these are the things I am grateful for each day..the small things that make each day a bit sweeter:

-Heated leather seats in my luxurious new minivan. I thought I'd never drive a minivan, and moreover, if I was forced to that it'd suck. I LOVE this van. It's cool. And, I love it's heated leather seats.

-Paradise Tropical iced tea. Delivered to my house. I brew up a large pot and it lasts for about 2 days.

-Wonderful coworkers. I love my boss and my coworkers. Having had a terrible boss (we're talking mentally abusive and mind-warping as opposed to just annoying or demanding) in the past makes working for my current boss that much more appreciated.

-My day care provider. She loves my children genuinely and shares the same values we do. She takes care of my kids the way I would if I could stay home with them everyday..or maybe a bit better.. because it's her JOB to play with them and do art projects with them.. whereas, if I stayed home, they'd just go to grocery and dry cleaners a lot more often. I never have to worry about what my children are doing, learning or feeling-- because I know she's hugging them, holding them, feeding them well and building them up in the best possible way. I am VERY fortunate.

-Quilting. I am so fortunate I have found a lifelong hobby - and I am totally addicted. There is nothing more comforting than the feel of the fabric between my fingers.. Well, except maybe for hugs from my husband. Nice quilting cottons are a close second to hugs from my husband.

-Decent alternative radio. Thank GOD we have one alternative station in this vast wasteland of radio suburbia here in the Twin Cities. It's good, too. When I hear the new Green Day song and crank it up (when the kids are NOT in the minivan the volume goes up REALLY loud), I want to send a large cash donation to keep this radio station afloat. Thank God for good alternative radio. And, for the XM radio channels I'll be able to listen to when I get my portable XM player at Christmas.

That's enough for now. Now I think I'll go to bed.. so that tomorrow morning I can be grateful that I got almost 7 hours of sleep.


No comments: