Thursday, January 04, 2007

Getting With the Program

I'm not big on New Years Resolutions. In fact, I'm generally not into New Years in the US at all. I personally prefer to celebrate Ohshogatsu (Japanese New Year).
So to all: "Akemashite Omedetou!" Welcome to the year of the boar. I like to call it the year of the inoshishi (Japanese wild boar) because that's much better than it being the year of the pig (buta) or year of pork. Not nearly as cute as saying: "inoshishi".

New Years in Japan is a flurry of activity at the end of the year - writing and sending Nengajou (New Years Greetings postcards), and cleaning up your house like crazy.. and gathering and cooking up a bunch of food (s'posed to prepare Osechi Ryoori) so that you don't have to do anything for the first few days of the New Year except watch TV, drink and eat.

In our house, we sorta did this. We cleaned up and organized the house a ton. I'm really pleased with the results. And I made a special Japanese meal for New Years Day. It didn't turn out perfectly - but it felt good to give it a try. And it made for nice leftovers for the dreaded first day back at work.

I have to say the closest I've ever come to thinking I might need some anti-depressant medication was on the eve of my return to work after 10+ consecutive days off at home with the kids. It was really hard to get back to the routine. This work week has felt sooooo lonnnnng and it's even a "short" week thanks to having Monday off!

Ne'ertheless - I'm getting back with the program. The lack of snow and warm temperatures sure helps. I don't feel sedentary or like staying in and keeping cozy when it's almost 50 degrees out. It's more like (late) spring around here!
Today I hit the gym for the first time in the new year - and I'm definitely back into the swing of things at work.

So. Back at it. Time to get with the program. Feeling refreshed and ready to be back at it.

Um.. so how long till summer?

No comments: