Friday, January 12, 2007

The Highest Praise

Just an observation.. but, I've discovered the nicest thing you can say to another mom (at least among the mothers I know) my age is: "Wow, you are a really busy lady!" It needs to be said with admiration for their hectic schedule - not a trace of sarcasm. Alternately, you could say (with LOADS of sarcasm) - "Sure, in all your spare time. Ha!"

At a Girl Scout meeting for my older daughter last month another woman who's helping with their spring camp-in event made a brief presentation. She works fulltime downtown like me, teaches an exercise class at the Y and had come directly, sweat soaked, from her class to her daughter's troop meeting to present on options for the event presentation the girls would do.
On chatting with her afterwards (and exchanging email addresses - and realizing we'd worked in adjoining buildings for much of the past 4 years) I said: "Wow, you are really busy. How d'you do it?" It's a rhetorical question - but I tell you, she absolutely smiled as wide as I've ever seen her smile - then quickly recovered with a sheepish shrug. Still, I could tell it was the ultimate compliment to the busy working mom.

No comments: