Thursday, May 24, 2007

Moved


4 season and deck
Originally uploaded by Geeky Mama.
Still unpacking, but starting to enjoy our new home very much. The old house is listed on the MLS now and our fingers are crossed for a quick sale.

One of the best things about our move was the help and humor my friend Sharyl's husband Mark provided. He cracked me up constantly with his funny comments - so when I look back on our move, I think of all the laughter, not so much all the lifting and carrying.

Here's an example of Mark's sense of humor:

We've just pulled up to the new house, it's lunch time on Saturday. I'm telling everyone to come on in the new house for Subway sandwiches and cold beers and Mark has just wandered through the empty new house checking it out.
I'm standing on the front porch and he comes over to give me hearty congratulations. After a hug and lots of raves over what a great place Jeff and I have found he asks me in a more serious tone of voice: "Do you mind if I Bless the house?"

To put this in context, I should explain Mark and Sharyl are good practicing Catholics. And, every home I've ever lived in I've walked through and prayed over - to bless the house (back in the day my mother and grandmother would anoint the doorways with olive oil as they prayed, too).

So I said to Mark: "Oh, that's great, thanks - want to walk through and pray over the house together?"

He said: "Nah, I meant that I gotta take a crap, OK? Maybe I should have said Christen the house instead?"

I laughed so hard I almost blessed my pants.

1 comment:

Shelli said...

That is hilarious.

The new house looks nice from what I can see. I will have to have a tour soon, though! Congratulations!