Monday, September 29, 2008

Day One in Zagreb



My mission for today was this: Find warm shoes and a coat, get a bit acclimated to the time zone and the city. Mission accomplished!

Zagreb is lovely, the weather today was sunny, beautiful and a relatively warm 65 degrees. Perfect walking weather. So, I walked along Jurišićeva to Ban Josip Jelaĉić Square and found shopping all along the way.



I wandered through the the Dolac, the city's main market (aka "the Belly of Zagreb") - where there is a giant indoor market with every cheese,meat, pastry and ingredient you could ever want, and then upstairs is a giant outdoor market.



I wandered up more stairs past the Dolac to "upper town" and found more little markets and lots of quaint cafes. There are LOTS of outdoor cafes here - the Croatians seem to have even the Dutch beat with their cafe : person ratio I'd guess.



I managed to find a warm sweater (it's green of course - I'm so stuck on that color lately) in a little upper town shop for only 100 Kuna (that's like $20). I also managed to find a stylish jacket for over my suits this week..but that was, sadly, not such a good bargain. Oh well.

After finishing up my shopping a quick lunch I've headed back to work a bit this afternoon because now it's America's waking up time.
This will probably be the only day I have to wander around and take pictures - so I'm glad it was sunny and I'm pleased the schedule worked out this way.

No comments: