Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Making a Fool of Myself, Once Again

I have a special knack for saying just the wrong thing, sticking my foot in my mouth or just inadvertently making myself look like an idiot. Seriously, if I were a super hero I'd be "Awkward Woman" - my super power is making other people laugh at my own expense.

So today is the big first day at the client site. It's week two away from home, I was having a bad hair day, a rough time figuring out to wear..and I was running late to meet up with the consultants (all men) when I figured out I needed a product only women need, oh, just about every 28 days or so.
So, I ran down a back staircase to the little shop in the lobby and bought every box of Croatian OB they had. Whew, right? Not yet.

So, I pack up my back pack with my laptop and notebook and everything I'd need for the day. Part way through the morning session when we're working on our slides for the client presentation one of my colleagues had a coughing fit and I offered him some gum from my backpack. He admired my Japanese gum so I offered it around the table to all the consultants. They're all familiar with Europe (one is Czech, one is Portuguese and one was German), I'm only familiar with Japan so we were comparing notes on sweets and snacks. At which point I said: "Well, I also have some Japanese snacks in my backpack, too" - thinking to offer them as a mid-morning snack.
I grabbed the strawberry Pockey box and said: "And I have more!" and then grabbed...(drum roll please) the box of OB which I held up for all the men (it's all men - I'm the only woman in the group) to eat.

Before I could cringe in horror and throw it back in my back pack the Czech across the table said to me: "Uh. This is not edible."
....and then he tried (and failed) to keep from laughing at me. I don't remember what I mumbled as a come back - but I blushed furiously for a good 5 minutes or so...absolutely horrified I'd just shown off my tampons to the group. Of men. All men. Have I mentioned I'm the only woman in the group? Yeah.

So, yep. That's me. The hip world traveling professional making another graceful first impression with my European colleagues. Smoooooooth. (Not!)



Which one of these is not like the others? (Not edible!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good respose: "You're right, these are not intended to be put in your mouth!" Ha!